Friday, April 17, 2009

Serious Trouble

Somehow I got put in charge of the book fair at my kids' school. My friend, Sheri, is the head of the Parent Committee and she knew if she asked me, I'd say no. So, she just assigned it to me. This was not a wise move on her part. It's not that I don't LOVE books. But anyone who read my post about my drawer full of undeposited checks would know that I should NOT be handling financial transactions.

Anyway, yesterday we had a meeting with the vendors to learn the record-keeping procedures. I arrived early, so I had 20 minutes alone to browse a whole book warehouse. Row after row of neatly stacked books. I think I was drooling.

I was familiar with nearly all of the picture books, but I made one great new discovery: Serious Trouble.

This book by author/illustrator Arthur Howard features a fire-breathing, people-eating, three headed dragon! The three heads each have a name and argue amongst themselves. When they catch Ernest, a Prince who want to become a Jester, Ernest tries to bargain with them.

"If I make you laugh, will you let me go?"

"He must be mad," said Snaggle.

"He might be tasty," said Snuffle.

"He could be funny," said Snide. "We'll give you two chances. Or maybe three."

This goofy book is sure to make any kid giggle.

7 comments:

Sherrie Petersen said...

Ooo, it sounds cute!

And I'm with you on the money thing. I hate math, and yet I pay the bills and balance the checkbook. Thank goodness for Quicken!

Corey Schwartz said...

I actually LOVE math. That's the funny thing. Taught Math SAT classes for Princeton Review. But when it comes to record keeping I am a disaster. My husband takes care of everything!

hytime said...

Corey,
You can use my accountant.
Love,
Dad

Yat-Yee said...

Only in a children's book can the line "He might be tasty" follows "He must be mad."

Sounds perfect for me goofy kids. (and their goofy Mom.)

myrna rosen said...

if you're gonna drool over anything, it's better to do it over books than, say , jewelry...given that
your husband takes care of all the bills!!

you must have grown up with good values
(tee-hee)!

Kelly H-Y said...

Sounds cute ... thanks for the recommendation! Good luck with the Book Fair! :-)

Donna McDine said...

Best of luck organizing the book fair. The book sounds adorable.

Glad to connect with a fellow Rocklander...even though you don't live here anymore.

Regards,
Donna McDine
www.donna-mcdine.blogspot.com