Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Why I am Too Stupid to Shop at Bookstores

Shelley the STORYQUEEN had a great post up yesterday titled, On Suspending Disbelief (or Why I am Too Stupid to Drive)

Well, after sitting at my computer for a few hours reading blogs and what-not, I decided to go to the bookstore. I usually shop on Amazon, but I figured it would be good to support my local Indie for a change.

Jordan has been addicted to Junie B Jones lately. I read it to her in bed at night and we laugh our heads off together. But it is getting to the point where I'm a afraid if I sit down to write, Junie's voice is going to come out.

So, I figured I'd get her a Judy Moody to try. I also wanted to pick up The Time Traveler's Wife for me because I have read great things about it.

Now, bookstores are my most favoritest place in the world. On account of nothing makes me in a happy mood like books. I love those guys!

So, I browsed for a while and then made my purchases.

Then I runned home to start reading.

When I got out of the car, there was a package waiting. It was from Amazon. I opened it up and there were the same two books I had just bought.

I did a big gulp.

15 comments:

storyqueen said...

Seriously? That sounds just like something I would do!

(I usually use the excuse that it is because I am a writer and am never thinking about what I am actually doing. Instead, I am thinking about my book(s).)

Well, maybe you should read them twice.....so you don't forget!

Shelley

B.J. Anderson said...

Lol, story of my life. :D I have too much going on in my head to keep track of things, so I have occurances like this on a daily basis.

Stephanie Faris said...

Yep, story of my life too. The Time Traveler's Wife is the movie that's coming out soon, right? My mom read the book and loved it.

lisa and laura said...

Classic!

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

ah i hate when that happens. Mine has to do with clothes. Buy a great black shirt - find one at home in my closet I like better than the new one. Ugh.

Susan R. Mills said...

Do it all the time! I usually give the doubles away as gifts. That's not the same as re-gifting, is it????

Rebecca Gomez said...

That's funny, Corey. For me, that happens with movie rentals. I'll forget what's on my netflix list, and then run out on a whim to rent a movie only to receive it from netflix the next day!

Kate Karyus Quinn said...

Oh no that is so funny! I constantly do absent-minded stuff like that though, so I totally understand.

The Time Traveler's Wife is a great book - read it quick before the trailers for the movie spoils all the surprises!

Weronika Janczuk said...

Absolutely.

As for The Time Traveler's Wife, it's fantastic--Audrey Niffenegger is coming out with a second later this year and I am so, so excited.

I have a feeling it'll be an ever greater success.

Maddy said...

Yup I always seem to be buying books that I already own :)
Cheers

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I do that book thingie, too. I've got so many books in my to-read pile that I can't remember what's there.
I loved the Time Traveler's Wife, and I think I must re-read it before the film. I'm not sure how they are going to pull that off, really. It's told in such a non-linear way, sort of, well, out of time.

Mrs. Major said...

Ah, Junie B. is a great character. My daughter loves her and Judy Moody. There are so many of those books, who could keep track!

Ladybird World Mother said...

!!!!! I would so do that. Time travellers wife is such a lovely book. You'll enjoy that one.

Sherrie Petersen said...

Oh, Corey I am totally LMHO! Not only because I have bought myself the same book twice as well! But because I've been reading a lot of Junie B. to my little J and I relate to that voice! At least they were both paperback :)

K said...

Oh, I just did this and had to come back to tell you. I love Amazon and I love local bookstores, but why can't I recall what I order online! i think I order everything too quickly now to remember what I purchased.