Friday, December 11, 2009

Goldilocks is Not the Only One Who Rocks

While Jordan has been out crushing the hopes and dreams of all the five year olds in town, I have been busy stressing.

  • Stressing about driving all the way to Scarsdale, NY for a school visit.
  • Stressing about getting all my Hanukkah gifts purchased and wrapped in time.
  • Stressing about what might come out of my daughter's mouth next.

I've also been mulling over the whole Golidlocks thing. I was not putting it out there for vote (it was really all a joke) but if I had been, Goldi Rocks would definitely have won!!!

Anyway, just found out it is Unofficially Official Agent Appreciation Day, so a huge shout out to my awesome agent, Kendra Marcus, who really has her finger on the pulse of the children's publishing industry.

Kendra rocks. She can take one look at a manuscript and know instantly if it will sell (and to whom!), and if not, why not.

She told a friend of mine, "This is a charming story with great characters, but I can't sell it because there isn't enough illustrative potential."

"Poppycock," my friend and I said.

Then two weeks later, my friend got an email from a senior editor at a Major Publishing house saying, "We love your story and your characters, but we don't think it has enough illustrative potential, so we have to pass."

*facepalm*

Maybe I should run the Goldi Rocks idea by her before I even start it?

14 comments:

Amy Allgeyer Cook said...

That's a great idea! She could tell you right off the bat if it has potential! :)

Are you worried about driving to Scarsdale? Or about the school visit in general?

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Wow! It does sound like you have a great agent - jealous! ;-)

Kristi Faith said...

Corey: Don't worry, I was going to tell you the other day when you posted about Jory ruining Christmas....My little brother did worse. My mother was very "hip" and when we asked questions about, you know, stuff, she answered us honestly and fully. She had to explain the concept of S-E-X to my brother at a young age...he decided to inform his friends at school. Yup, can you imagine the phone call SHE got?? :-0
I have major Agent Envy today...I might have to look yours up.... :0)

Kim said...

Scarsdale! You're heading into my neck of the woods. I grew up in South Salem, just a bit farther up the Merritt Parkway. Have fun!

I'd love to hear what your SA has to say about your GoldiRocks idea.

Susan R. Mills said...

I like that there is a day for agents, even if it is unofficial. I'm not agented yet, but I think agents are great. Writers couldn't get by without them.

Sherrie Petersen said...

All these agent shout outs are pretty amazing. Sounds like yours is really on the ball :)

BK Mattingly said...

Sounds like you have a fabulous agent!

Elana Johnson said...

Goldi Rocks! That is hilarious! Happy Agent Day!

myrna rosen said...

since you say you're short on good ideas,....and your agent obviously isn't also a writer....

why don't you just ask your agent for a good idea,
and then write about it! ;-)

B.J. Anderson said...

Happy Agent Day!

Rebecca Gomez said...

Corey, if you have an idea, go for it! What harm is done by writing a manuscript that might not sell? None! Imagine what you could miss out on learning if you don't write it? Besides, we don't do this just to sell books. We do this because we love writing.

I say go for it!

Natalie said...

She sounds like a smart lady!

Crystal said...

Wow . . . what an awesome agent you have! And how intuitive, too! you are truly blessed. :)

MG Higgins said...

Ooh, your agent sounds brilliant. You are very lucky!