Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Diving in the Caymans

Okay, guys, this is the sea turtle I saw on my first dive at Hammerhead Hole. Just kidding. I did see a sea turtle, but I don't dive with a camera. I didn't even being one to the island. Sorry.

I can tell you a cute story though about how Hammerhead Hole got its name. There are no hammerheads and no holes there.

A group chartered a dive boat for a week to do shallow reef dives only. The first day, they went to Holiday Inn Reef. The divers went down for 25 minutes and came up complaining, "That was the worst dive site ever!

The dive masters took them to other neighboring reefs, but on the last day, they ran out of spots, so they brought them back to the first site and told them, "This is called Hammerhead Hole." The divers went down and came up after an hour saying, "Wow! That was awesome! Best spot of the week. Why didn't you take us here sooner!" And from then on it was known as Hammerhead Hole.

Ah, the power of suggestion. Pretty funny, huh?

7 comments:

BJW said...

Now this is what we're talking about. Just because we're stuck in Rainy Victoria today or wherever everyone else is sitting their bums down in front of their computers, doesn't mean we don't want to be right there with you in the CAYMANS! It's why we read. AND what better diving guide to take us there than you!

I'm now naming my bathtub Hammerhead Hole. Who knows WHAT dangers lurk there. I LIKE IT.

Thank you Corey.

B.J. Anderson said...

Lol! That is so funny. And that's a great picture. ;) Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Corey Schwartz said...

BJW, maybe I'll get dubbed Scuba Goddess one of these days? :)

B.J., I'm sure there is a PB idea in there somewhere, but I just can't figure it out!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Yipee! Super photo. I have two sea turtle photos hanging in my writing room (also palm trees, deep forests, mermaids, parrots, butterflies). I love being surrounded with color and nature. So, thank you! Happy post.

Donna McDine said...

Great recount of one of your experiences. Yes, the power of suggestion is an amazing thing. Very funny!

Susan said...

Ahhhh... yes. This is such a wonderful technique to use with kids too!

kah said...

hmmm wonder if we can put a power of suggestion to all readers of our stories. YOU WILL LOVE THIS STORY. think that will work?