Monday, October 12, 2009

TIP: Submit! (Seuss Style)

I realize I am long overdue for a Seuss post.

Last week on Twitter, I came across this fantastic link: Slush Reading, Seuss Style.

Bloody brilliant, huh?

Not only did it make me laugh, but it got me thinking about all the people I have been in critique groups with over the years who write and write and write... but never submit.

So, this is for them:

They read slush
Slush, they read
Sometimes they like the slush they read

They read their slush
They do indeed
So if you want
to succeed
Here’s advice that you must heed

You must submit-
that is the key
Submitting is the key, you see

If you don’t
send stories out
You won’t get pubbed
There is no doubt

Can not, will not take a chance?
You’ll never get that big advance

No three book deals
Or royalties
No rave reviews
Or noisy SQUEES.

You must submit,
Submit you must
Or manuscripts
will gather dust.

So, if you want
to get that call
Submit to one
Submit to all.


NOTE: This could be better with more time, but my Bunco game started five minutes ago!

26 comments:

storyqueen said...

Hahahahaha!

What a lovely way to start the week...with a little Seuss!

Yep, I need to send out something I've been sitting on....


Shelley

Amy Allgeyer Cook said...

Very cute! :)

MG Higgins said...

HA! Corey, this is so funny! Are you a member of SCBWI? Your poem might be something fun to submit to their magazine.

Tess said...

MG has a good idea. It is adorable! You must submit...

so true. Nothing ventured, right?

Natalie said...

So cute and true!

Rebecca Gomez said...

Very funny. And so true!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Too funny! And sooooo true.

Yat-Yee said...

I want my SQUEES! whatever they are, they sound better than rave reviews, which I crave too, of course.

Susan R. Mills said...

That was great, Corey! I laughed out loud for the first time all day. Thanks.

Deb Markanton said...

Hahaha, you hit it! And, get out! I just played Bunco the other night! LOL

Unknown said...

Fantastic!

Kim said...

I fear this poem
may speak my name
Submit I will
I crave that fame

Thanks for the kick in the fanny.

Did you win anything good last night? :)

Corey Schwartz said...

Thanks everybody!

Kim, ha!

MG, you're so sweet, but I would have to work on it much longer before submitting it to SCBWI.

Yat-Yee, I think a SQUEE is like a WOOT. Not sure, I have done any squeeing yet. But i plan to when I get my contract :)

Crystal said...

How CUTE! What a great motivator, Corey! I'm posting this next to my computer . . . :)

Dawn Simon said...

Fun and true! :)

lisa and laura said...

Love it! Great motivation for those of us slacking on their WIPs. You have to write before you can submit, right?

Elana Johnson said...

Wow, this is made of awesome! I love it! Thanks for the smile.

AiringMyLaundry said...

I like this :)

Unknown said...

Last week I subbed
a rhyming book
I hope the editor
gives it a fair look

But if I fail
that is okay
I'll still keep writing
every day.

(See Corey, I need a lot of help on meter...)

Kelly H-Y said...

It's just perfect the way it is ... awesome!

Corey Schwartz said...

Ha, Melissa!

Thanks again, everyone.

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

hey girl! that is hilarious. you did that in 5 min - man you are a good rhymer.

Corey Schwartz said...

No, not in five... I was five minutes late for my Bunco game. Maybe 15?

Tara McClendon said...

I'm going to put this on my wall to remind me to have fun with the process. (Not that I won't take it seriously.)

Cindy Williams Schrauben said...

LOVE it, Corey! Thanks for keeping it light. We all need that. :)

Unknown said...

I love it!!! Seuss Submission Movitation! This is SO me...need to submit something to someone soon! Thanks for sharing this!