Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Ramen King and I

I am reading a memoir called The Ramen King and I: How the Inventor of Instant Noodles Fixed My Love Life.

I hate memoirs. I never read them. The only memoir I ever finished is Angela's Ashes and that's because it really didn't read like a memoir at all. It read like fiction.

So, you might be asking yourself, "Why are you reading The Ramen King and I?"

I actually have a very good answer. Because I dated the author, Andy Raskin. When I say dated, I don't mean that he was ever actually my boyfriend. But we did go out several times and we even somehow ended up spending a week scuba diving together in Cozumel.

And, furthermore, I credit him to some extent for the fact that I am a published author today.

So, I certainly feel the need to know how exactly Momofuku Ando, the inventor of instant noodles, fixed his love life.

12 comments:

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

oohhh now I want to read it. Th emetaphor of a noodle? hm ;)

Sherrie Petersen said...

And was he fixed before or after he dated you??!!

Corey Schwartz said...

Hmm, well, Sherrie. Let me put it this way. I've been married for seven years and he is still single! (at 44)

lisa and laura said...

Ha! That's so fun! I wish I had an ex who'd write a memoir. Talk about juicy summer reading...

Tess said...

Funny! Ooo, I am glad non of my ex's wrote memoirs - lol!

And, you MUST read The Invisible Wall. It is also written like a novel (not like memoir) and so very inspiring. It has heartache, but it's not too dark.

B.J. Anderson said...

Lol, that is awesome! I wonder if you're in his book!

Sherry Dale Rogers said...

I have been eating them my whole life and so far love life is good.

BJW said...

Reason number one not to write memoirs about my love life...

Number ONE: This blog post.

Thank you very much for relieving me of ever attempting anything silly like this in the future. Though, I don't wonder if my exes wouldn't be on the wrong end of history, especially after I'm done telling it.

Rebecca Gomez said...

I just read Roald Dahl's memoir, Boy: Stories from Childhood, and LOVED it! I think it is because childhood stories, to me, are so amusing and sometimes heartbreaking, and sometimes both at once. I highly recommend his book, especially if you are a Roald Dahl fan at all.

Corey Schwartz said...

Yes, well...apparently, I am just one of like a million people he dated. Wonder how many of them are reading his memoir and blogging about it?

Joyce Wolfley said...

Sounds interesting...and reading an old friend's memoir is a must. Even if you are like me and dislike memoirs. Good read???

BJW said...

Sounds like your hubby got the good end of this deal.

Ramen noodles are cheap and a dime a dozen. I think nearly literally actually.